BEATIFICATION OF ARCHBISHOP ROMERO, MAY 23, 2015
As we begin the Jubilee Year of Mercy, I would like to re-introduce and propose once again, the Blessed Archbishop Oscar Romero Chaplet. It is my hope that people will join me in praying the chaplet every Friday during the Holy Year. I developed the chaplet years ago, and published a summary of it here in August 2013 as a reflection on “the Eucharistic Marvels of Archbishop Romero,” five iconic episodes which embody Blessed Romero’s devotion to the Eucharist in ways that, in my view, help us to join closer in Communion with Romero and all the saints.
You can read my earlier post here but, in summary, the five episodes are: (1) Romero’s first solemn mass after returning to El Salvador in 1944, offered for the protection of the Supreme Pontiff; (2) Romero’s convocation of the “Single Mass” following the martyrdom of Fr. Rutilio Grande; (3) Romero’s trip to Aguilares to retake Grande’s church and in the process retrieve the profaned communion hosts and reclaim the dignity of the offended townspeople; (4) Romero’s call to the faithful to visit the cancer hospital where he lived, and pay respects to Jesus in the suffering as well as in the Blessed Sacrament exposed in the chapel (where he was later killed); and (5) Romero’s final celebration of the Mass, which he was killed before concluding, thus becoming both “sacrifice and celebrant.”
In general, I recommend we pray the chaplet for the overall intention of Archbishop Romero’s canonization by the time of the 100th anniversary of his birth in August 2017. I think that we can also effectively meditate on these ancillary intentions for each decade of the prayer.
I. FATHER ROMERO CELEBRATES HIS FIRST MASS
- For the protection of Pope Francis
- For the Holy Father’s monthly prayer intentions
- For the protection of the Church
II. ARCHBISHOP ROMERO CELEBRATES THE 'SINGLE MASS'
- For the beatification of Fr. Rutilio Grande
- For the successful conclusion of Fr. Grande’s martyrdom process
- For Christians facing persecution all over the world
III. ARCHBISHOP ROMERO RECOVERS THE DESECRATED HOSTS
- For the canonization of Archbishop Romero with the beatification of Fr. Grande
- For the protection of religious freedom
- For the re-discovery of the Spiritual Works of Mercy
IV. EUCHARISTIC ADORATION WHILE VISITING THE SICK IN HOSPITAL
- For those who pray for a miracle cure through the intercession of Blessed Romero
- For a certification of a miracle for the canonization of Archbishop Romero
- For the re-discovery of the Corporal Works of Mercy
V. ARCHBISHOP ROMERO’S UNFINISHED EUCHARIST
- For the “social miracle” of Archbishop Romero (pacification of Salvadoran society and justice in the Salvadoran Church sex abuse crisis)
- That Romero’s canonization inspires us to “complete” Romero’s unfinished Eucharist
- For all our own private intentions
“Those who have Archbishop Romero as a friend in the faith,” Pope Francis said in his letter to the Salvadoran Church for the beatification, and “who invoke him as protector and intercessor … find in him strength and courage to build the Kingdom of God and to commit to a more equitable and dignified social order.” I believe that by praying the Oscar Romero Chaplet, we will also be filled with faith that the hope will one day be a reality.