Wednesday, December 12, 2018

«Super Martyrio» in the rearview

A young St. Oscar Romero at the Old Basilica of Guadalupe.
The sign over the church reads "Non fecit taliter omni nationi."
Español | italiano (Google Translate)
#SaintOscarRomero #Canonization #Beatification
They say that when Pope Benedict XIV (PP. 1740-1758) was told about the apparitions of the Virgin of Guadalupe in Mexico, he exclaimed, “Non fecit taliter omni nationi.” The Latin phrase derives from Psalm 147 and means “He has not done thus for any other nation.” The same could be said for El Salvador, the only country that bears the Lord’s name, recently blessed with a new saint, the martyr Oscar Romero.
On the eve of the conclusion of this blog in a few days, I would like to recall some of the blessings we have had in this space, seen in the support of so many people who have helped us, who have supported and sustained this effort, helping us to reap some truly valuable fruits. As a tool for a reader who might visit this page a year hence (or more), here are what I consider to be the most interesting posts, the ones I have considered to be helpful, the ones that have helped to deepen my own knowledge, or made me learn something new while writing them.  [See also: reflection on the blog’s first 10 years.]
In October 2011, I published a Homiliarium that brings together in one place all of St. Romero’s homilies—not just in English but also the original Spanish texts—organized according to the liturgical cycles (with a supplement for the irregular homilies).  It is very helpful for finding the texts of homilies, and I use it all the time.
In October 2010, I published an index of blogposts to date (as of that time), and I last updated it a year later (there is also a Spanish version).   It is useful for navigating the earliest posts on the blog, and its structure reveals the recurring themes in the blog, as well as the sort of things that are highlighted (or were highlighted, at least at the time).
That same month (October 2010) I also published an explanation of the blog’s point of view, to fess up my particular prejudices and alert readers about possible distortions that could arise from my own biases.
Through the years, I developed certain reflections.   The most important are the Seven Sermons to the Poor series (2011-2014), which analyzed Archbishop Romero’s final seven Lenten homilies; and two that tried to situate Romero within the ambit of ​​the Church: Romero and the Popes (July 2011), and Romero among leading figures of Catholicism (April - June 2012).
I have also tracked the Canonization Cause, initially with a color guide to indicate the status of progress in the Cause.   More recently, I have published detailed reports on the process, including the strategy for having the martyrdom recognized, as well as the miracle that raised Romero to the altars.   I have also published collections of documents related to the beatification and the canonization.
At year-end, every year in my most recent practice, I have published a summary of the events of the year being concluded, as well as my predictions for the following year.
Finally, I have published several posts that have resulted from in-depth, independent research.   Among the more than 1,300 posts, the standouts related to the detention of Romero the seminarian in Cuba, his six years in Rome, the huge influence of the best friend from his youth, and his evangelizing and ecumenical impact .
In short, the blog has been a tremendous experience for this poor servant. Thank you for your readership!   Last post this Friday.
(On the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.)

No comments: